Sunday 1 October 2017

Fulfilling a dream!

Yes, that made me feel proud of myself.




I'm a typical middle class Indian family girl. At this age (24) it is expected of me to get married and start a family. But I didn't. I stood up for my dream. I love dancing. I was learning bharathanatyam since my childhood (age of 3). Unfortunately I didn't have my family support to complete my arangetram (debut onstage performance after completion of formal training), as they have to spend money.

My family insisted on pursuing higher studies and get a govt. gob and not to waste money on dance programmes. My arangetram was supposed to held in 2005. But it didn't happen. I was demotivated by everyone not to pursue dance as career.

I couldn't speak a word as I was financially dependent on my family. My dance practice was stopped. I waited patiently for 12 years. After completing my schooling, under graduation and post graduation, I got a job. I'm now earning a handsome sum of money. There's no one who'll question me now..after 12 years I joined dance class again and successfully completed my arangetram last week and was awarded the title “NATYA MAYURI


I believe it takes immense courage and persistence not to give up on our dreams though the situations don't favor us. The satisfaction we get after fulfilling our aim is unexplainable. I felt like I have lived the life to the fullest.
My arangetram was a grand success. We received extraordinary comments and wishes from the audience. That's the moment I felt so proud of myself when I fulfilled my dream with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Asamuyta Hasta Shloka - Single Handed Gestures

Hastas or Hasta Mudras are an integral part of Bharatanatyam, where stories are brought to life through hand gestures combined with facial e...